Ready to reach your goal of home ownership? Today we’re taking a look at saving money for a down payment. Will skipping the fancy latte or making lunch at home really help you meet your down payment goals? While preparing for the purchase of your dream home, there are many money-saving tips that can help you along the way.
Find out what you can afford.
Get Pre-Approved with our online application tool in as little as 8 minutes.
Down payment amounts usually range between three and twenty percent of a home purchase price, depending on your loan program. Here are five ideas to put into practice to help you save money for your down payment and reach your goal of home ownership.
- Budget and stick to it! Take inventory of your monthly expenses – how much income you bring in each month, how much money goes towards debt, housing, subscription services – and break down your expendable income into categories like groceries and entertainment. Budget for those items and make sure to stick to it each month.
- Try out a spending freeze. Commit to not spending any money on nonessential items for a week. This includes saving money you would normally spend on eating out, shopping for clothes, or those impulse Amazon purchases.
- Find ways to save in your home. Can you cut down on your electric bill? Consider switching to energy saving LED bulbs, turning off lights when they’re not in use, and programming your thermostat higher when you’re away from home. Many environmentally friendly tips and tricks can also save you money on your utilities bill.
- The cable culprit. Cutting out on large cable packages can help save money each month. You can choose a streaming service or two for a much lower monthly cost! There are also many streaming services which are ad supported, meaning you don’t have to pay to watch some of your favorite shows. With so many options, you won’t even notice the cable’s gone.
- Plan a staycation! Just because you’re budgeting doesn’t mean it can’t be fun! Try having a staycation instead of a getaway and play tourist exploring your hometown with a new point of view.
Questions About Home Buying?
Talk to one of our mortgage professionals to learn more about financing your new home today.
Why Jet HomeLoans?
At Jet HomeLoans we understand that buying a home is an important, life-changing event. That’s why we’re here to help make your dreams of homeownership a reality. We’re focused on providing you with the highest quality customer service and loan expertise. From our first conversation, to the first steps you take into your new home (and beyond), we’re here for you. We’ll listen to your needs and provide you with a wealth of resources to make the home loan process simple and stress-free.
We offer a vast selection of loan programs, easy-to-use tools, and friendly and personalized service to ensure a convenient and stress-free home loan journey. Clear and constant communication and timely status updates will keep you informed and reassured throughout the entire home loan process. So, if you’re ready to invest in your future, let Jet HomeLoans help you land the home of your dreams.
All information presented is for educational purposes only and not intended as financial advice.
Choosing the right loan program depends on a variety of factors like certain loan program features, the loan term and your overall financial goals.